Kermit Gosnell is a 72-year-old – african-american, abortionist doctor from Philadelphia – is currently on trial for the murder of seven babies and one woman. 3 of the charges were dropped this week, but he still faces 5 charges – 4 of which are first degree murder and 1 third degree. His attorney, Mr. McMahon, finished his defense this week and now the public waits for closing comments (schedule for monday) and the jury’s decision.
Because of the lack of reporting on this trail by the mainstream media, I am compelled to write a blog on the issue. I want to provide my reader with the basic facts and then a few responses that I think are most appropriate.
The Gosnell trial speaks of horrible realities, but first I want to provide a basic timeline of events:
- 1979 – Gosnell’s Abortion Clinic opens, called the “Woman’s Medical Society”
- 1989,1992, and 1993 – The clinic fails to pass several abortion clinic regulations. No action from the local government to enforce the regulations. (According to the grand jury report, p.9)
- 2008 – The year in which most of the murders occurred. I am lumping a host of testimony into one year. (See here for more details.)
- Nov 19, 2009 – Mongar, the refugee from Nepal, dies from improper anesthesia at Gosnell’s clinic.
- Feb 18, 2010 – Authorities raid Gosnell’s clinic based on information regarding illegal drug usage.
- Mar, 2010 – Dept. of Health begins paperwork for shutting clinic down.
- Jan 19, 2011 – Grand Jury completes report (read 200+ page document here)
- Nov 1, 2012 – Kermit Gosnell pleads “not guilty”. [Two other employees in his clinic pleaded guilty to 1st degree murder]
- Mar 18, 2013 – Opening Statements in Trial
- Apr 24, 2013 – Defense Attorney, Jack McMahon “rests” his defense of Gosnell.
The Gruesome Testimony
- Grand Jury Report – Opening Statement: “This case is about a doctor who killed babies and endangered women. What we mean is that he regularly and illegally delivered live, viable, babies in the third trimester of pregnancy – and then murdered these newborns by severing their spinal cords with scissors.” (Source)
- Latosha Lewis, a clinic co-worker, regarding Gosnell’s practice of “snipping”: … would cut the back of the neck and insert a curette, which is a plastic tubing … that is used to do a suction. You would insert it in the back of the neck of the baby, so that the brain would come out… [Sometimes] “he [Gosnell] would just snip the neck.” (Source)
- Sam Guilno, Philadelphia Chief Medical Examiner: He examined 47 aborted fetuses that were found in the freezer of Gosnell’s clinic. Ranged in age from 12 weeks – the end of the first trimester – to late second trimester, and included two that looked beyond the 24-week limit for legal abortions in Pennsylvania. “It was the first time I had to deal with fetuses that were frozen and that I had to thaw out.” Answered no to the question, “Can you think of any reason why the neck was severed if that baby was not born alive?”(Source)
- Lynda Williams, a co-worker: Admitting that she had seen Gosnell cut the necks of at least 30 babies born alive.(Source)
- Sherry West, a co-worker: She recounted a horrific experience when one baby, who she described as 18-24 inches long, was born alive. “There was this clear glass pan, and I saw it, and I thought, ‘What do you expect me to do?’” West told the court.
“It wasn’t fully developed….It didn’t have eyes or a mouth but it was like screeching, making this noise. It was weird. It sounded like a little alien…It really freaked me out, and I said call Dr. Gosnell, and I went back out front.”(Source)
- Steve Massof, a co-worker: Regarding the snipping procedure: “It’s like a beheading. It is separating the brain from the body.” At times, when women were given medicine to speed up their deliveries, “it would rain fetuses. Fetuses and blood all over the place.”(Source)
A Sampling of Videos/Photos on Gosnell:
Mongar (the woman murdered), a picture of the clinic, Gosnell photo, and two photos of babies murdered at his clinic.
A 15 minute video from Anderson Cooper on CNN. To my knowledge this video is one of the few stories, covered by the mainstream, media, that does justice to the story. I recommend you watch this video.
The below video is a Christian documentary on the trial. Extremely hard to watch this film.
My primary thought from this trial relates more towards the mainstream media’s failure to cover the story. I do not want to marginalize the sheer and horrible facts of the story. However, I am more concerned by the American ignorance of the trial. The boston bombings (which are also horrible and noteworthy) have taken the stage of the media. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not the death of 8 humans worse than 2? Why is America not outraged by the story of Gosnell?
Even those who are pro-choice agree that what Gosnell did was “illegal”. Despite the NY times (and other liberal media) refusal to call them “babies” and referring to them as “fetuses” (see here), they still know and believe that this is wrong. But why no outrage? I keep asking myself, when is America (Christian or non-Christian, pro-choice or pro-life) going to wake up. We are talking about the “snipping” of baby backbones?!?
My only conclusion – the thought that keeps coming back to my mind – is that America is in dire need of spiritual renewal. I knew this before the Gosnell trial, but I know it much more so now. Only an apathetic society, only a lukewarm society, would allow their free media to ignore such a trial without a backlash of corrective measures.
I keep wondering what the German people were thinking as their government slowly, but surely, progressed towards open extermination of the Jews during World War II. I recently heard a story about a German church increasing the volume of their organ during a worship service. The reason? Because a boxcar, of screaming Jews crying out for mercy, strolled down the tracks next to their church building. I wonder how far away we are from doing the same thing as the Nazis? Oh wait! The US government has sanctioned the death of 55 million babies since Roe v. Wade and planned parenthood alone has killed 333,000 babies in 2012. (source)
“Lord, I thank you for having mercy upon me – a sinner. I ask that you would send your Spirit upon me, my family, my Church, my community, and my country. Revive us. We desperately need your renewal. Have mercy upon the wickedness of my country’s government. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”